House Odor Problems – How to Fix it
General Cleaning & Deodorizing, Indoor Air Quality for, Mold, Mildew, Fungus
What is it?
We all know of the moment you walk in the door, you get this nose-wrinkling odor that hit’s your nostrils – it’s the dreaded “Odor” and you think what is it?. The house may not even be old, but that smell is definitely there. This is a real problem! It can be a deal killer to friend or someone else. That musty odor you smell could be mold and or fungal issue and it doesn’t necessarily mean you have an expensive mold problem to fix. But it is a decided turn-off for anyone walking in a door for the first time. Excess humidity is enough to get mold started smelling. You probably won’t find mold actually growing anywhere, but the odor is definitely there. If you do find mold growing, then that is a bigger issue.
Here is what you need to do to handle this.
First, check thoroughly to ensure there are no water leaks, no dripping faucets, no leaks with the toilet water supply, the drain from the air conditioner coil is not blocked and so on. Look closely under each sink and lavatory, under the house in your crawl space area or basement – feel to see if there is any dampness. Check thoroughly!
Second, dry out the house. If the humidity is not high outside, open the windows and give the place a good airing out. If humidity is high outside, run the air conditioner because this will dry out the inside air. Keep the inside temperature fairly low for several days to allow everything inside to thoroughly dry. If this is not possible, or if some rooms do not have sufficient ventilation, you may need to purchase a de-humidifier for each of those rooms.
What about Furniture?
If there is furniture in the home, be sure and give that old
overstuffed sofa the ‘nose test’ to make sure it is not the source of that
musty odor. If this turns out to be the source of that odor, you can replace
the sofa – or you can fight the fungus that is likely growing deep inside the
stuffing by our services.
If the old house odor persists, then we can help with our
We start washing the walls with CLO2 treatment than follow with a intense treatment by off gassing the structure. Yes, are process is safe. We do this wherever you detect a bit of that odor, or A better option is to use a professional fogger system of the structure– they are the quickest, most efficient way to treat large areas in you suspect you may have mold grow in the structure.. With one of these machines, you can literally ‘paint’ walls ceiling and so on with a very thin coat of CLO2. In a perfect world, someone would go behind you and give those ‘painted’ surfaces a quick wipe down with a rag that is already damp with CLO2. You are not trying to dry it, but to wipe away anything of the stuck to the surface of the walls.
Clo2 is a Disinfectant & Odor Eliminator that not only Kills Mold, but disinfects and sanitizes.
Another hiding place for those old house odors is the inside of the air ducts. That fogger is a great way to apply CLO2 deep inside the ductwork in your home. Remove the grille, and use the fogger to spray up in there. You are trying to spray enough ‘fog’ inside that it will begin to condense on the interior walls of the ducts. You may also want to check the coils of the HVAC system. Those coils can become dusty and that dust is a food source for molds. Clean the coils thoroughly and spray them with CLO2 and Allow to air dry naturally.
Carpets in the house could also be the source of the Odor and could harbor mols spores, so give them the ‘nose test’ as well. Treating the carpet is must and should be professional cleaned along with the furniture.